Problem: My right hand is full of superbowl rings

9:50 PM / Posted by Alan C. /

So I was thinking: A few years back some creative soul in da Burgh wrote a song about the Steelers. This was pre 2005, so for those of you not paying attention the Steelers only had 4 super bowl rings at this point. All of them won by Chuck Knoll. Anyway there was a line in the song that said "This is the year we'll get that one for the thumb"

Then it happened.

In my lifetime I have only known two people to man the helm for the Steelers. Knoll and Cowher. Now there is a third, and he has the Steelers in a position to do what the other previous incarnations have failed to do: Win a superbowl in their head coach's second season. I will give you a moment to let that sink in.

And whats more, this year's team might be the most impressive defensive presence ever assembled by man or God. Sorry Big guy, I know you command angels...but this Steelers D is maybe just that good.I remember texting with ryan during the regular season and he said something underwhelming to the effect of: Man this defense is really good. But do you think they are as good as the Ravens? I responded with statistics and then the announcers somehow knew we were having this discussion and lended their statistical analysis. Then something happened.

They got better. Yeah. They did. The Steelers Defense went from being one of the best, to being statistically the best in every measurable category (except 1 i think where they were 2nd) Everyone knows that you can't run on the Steelers, so you should just beat them with the pass. Guess what these guys did? Oh just went 14 straight games without allowing an opposing offense to gain more than 300 yards. I will give you a moment to let that sink it. That streak dated back to the previous season. And that means you stop the run and the pass. What makes this Steelers D different from previous versions? They actually can stop the pass. Like when they stopped TO, and both of the Moss's. In the same season.

To quote one of my favorite movies: "Who are those guys?"

So yeah, maybe the Cards have a great receiving duo. Maybe the best since Rice played. But let me hit you with something: Fitzgerald had all his touchdowns in the first half. The eagles kept him reeeeaaaal quiet in the 2nd half. Oh, that and Boldin was too busy yelling at his O-Coordinator to realize there was a football game being played and he wasn't a part of it. So how do the Steelers stop Fitz and Boldin?

1. Pressure the QB. I don't care if he does have God on his side, Warner will piss his pant when he watches Woodley come from his front side and then gets train-wrecked by Harrison from his blindside. I can spell concussion, but after a few of those hits Warner won't be able to.

2. Double Up on Fitzgerald. But if you do that, will it make a difference? Yes. Now I have been heard to utter: That guy will catch any ball thrown in the building. Larry Fitzgerald was noted by Coach Tomlin as being the best receiver in the world. Of those still actively playing football, that is a true statement. Rice is still alive remember. Anyway, back to the point. The Steelers have some good cover corners. But won't that leave Boldin open, you say. No it won't. I just found this statistic today of which I was previously unaware: 70% of the earth's surface is covered by water. The other 30% is covered by Troy Polamalu.

I am not sure I have much else to say after that. Except that if anyone wants to join me I will be at Harold's in CaveCreek. I will be the one in black and gold face paint waving a terrible towel ans screaming at the top of my lungs. Oh wait...the entire Steeler's nation will be too. And yes...we travel well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment